- Assistant Professor, HRS - Health & Rehab Sciences
- Assistant Professor, Integrated Systems Engineering
- Faculty Affiliate, TDAI
248 Baker Systems
1971 Neil Ave
Columbus, OH 43210
- Cognitive systems engineering
- Human/machine teaming architectures
- Visual analytics
- Alarm design
- Decision-support design
- Resliience engineering
Ph.D. The Ohio State University, School of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, 2013
M.S. The Ohio State University, Integrated Systems Engineering, 2007
B.S. Case Western Reserve University, Chemical Engineering, 1993
B.A. Case Western Reserve University, Music, 1993
Areas of Interest
Dr. Rayo’s research focuses on how the design of cognitive tools influence multi-agent teaming architectures that contribute to adaptive and maladaptive system behaviors. His work in how alarm design and management, visual analytics, computerized decision support, and interpersonal communication foster system resilience has been funded by the National Patient Safety Foundation, the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, the Office of Naval Research, and the Air Force Research Laboratory. He has published numerous papers on patient safety and human factors engineering, and serves on multiple patient safety committees and advisory groups.
Dr. Rayo currently teaches two courses in the department: Introduction to Cognitive Systems Engineering (ISE 5700) and Visual Analytics for Sensemaking (ISE 5760). He also teaches the online Visual Analytics for Sensemaking course as part of the Certification in Practice of Data Analytics.
- Welch, J.; Rayo, M.; Kanter, B.; Bagian, T. et al., 2016, "Framework for Alarm Management Process Maturity." Biomedical Instrumentation & Technology 50, no. 3, 165-179 - 165-179.
- Patterson ES, Gill C, Rayo M, Gurcan M, 2011, "Barriers and facilitators to adoption of soft copy interpretation from the user perspective: Lessons learned from filmless radiology for slideless pathology." Pathology Informatics Journal 1, no. 2, 1-4 - 1-4.
Papers in Proceedings
- Rayo, M.F. "Designing for collaborative autonomy: Updating user-centered design heuristics and evaluation methods." (1 2017).
- Nguyen, M.C.; Rayo, M.F.; Eiferman, D.S.; Moffatt-Bruce, S.D. "Evidence-Based Cardiac Monitoring in Surgical Patients: Reducing Alarm Fatigue and Improving Resource Allocation." (10 2016).
- Nguyen, M.C.; Rayo, M.F.; Eiferman, D.S.; Moffatt-Bruce, S.D. "Evidence-Based Cardiac Monitoring in Surgical Patients: Reducing Alarm Fatigue and Improving Resource Allocation." in Clinical Congress and Scientific Forum of the American-College-of-Surgeons. (10 2016).
- Walker, K.E.; Woods, D.D.; Rayo, M.F. "Multiple systemic contributors versus root cause: Learning from a NASA near miss." (1 2016).